Monday, June 22, 2009

Inside Pandora's Box

One of the few great things about working 9-5 has been my ability to listen to the radio all day every day.  Previous workplaces have required me to keep my radio so low that I couldn't effectively listen to NPR, but at my new place I'm able to listen to the radio at really, rather inappropriate volumes.  My like-minded co-worker and I each have our own space, and are all alone in this big basement, so if you happened to stop by you're likely to hear Terry Gross, Tom Ashbrook, or the sweet, incongruous mashup of rock 'n' roll and folk streaming from my Pandora stations.

The greatest gift that Pandora has given me has been a new and deeper appreciation of early rock's girl groups.  I've always loved the Ronnettes and the Supremes, but where was I before I had ever heard "I Want a Boy For My Birthday?" or "Party Lights?"

Really, who among us hasn't said that we'd like a boy for our birthday?  All the girl power in the world can't really stop a heterosexual 14 year old from wishing that her birthday came complete with a little bit of boyfriend.

Don't get me wrong - despite my obsession with all things vintage, I am not one of those poor deluded few who believe they would have been happier living in the 1950's or 60's (have you seen a girdle?), but the carefree, shameless pining of those good old teenaged-love songs always has, and hopefully always will, strike a chord within my day-dreaming little heart.

Oh, and the wailing awesomeness of "Party Lights" cannot be expressed in words.  I strongly encourage everyone to listen to both!

Cheerio!

No comments: