Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Preparing to Prepare

It suddenly occurred to me, today, that I have only two days left at my current job - what may very well be my last office-oriented, 9-5 job ever.

Here's hoping, right? Graduate school is such a crap shoot, these days, but having made the decision to return, all I can do is remain positive, right? Well, since I've decided it's right, we're just going to go with it.

What will I do with my days almost entirely of my own design? Will I be able to get out of bed at 9:00 AM if I don't have to be at class until 1:00 PM? Will I actually be more willing to keep my house clean once I have a dishwasher and my very own, conveniently placed washer and dryer? Will I starve on my pathetic stipend? Will I make time to read Salon and Slate so that I can continue to feel informed and engaged in the life of my culture (the culture which, incidentally, I am purporting to be a scholar of?) Will I (pretty please?) have more time and dedication to keeping in touch with my friends on a two-way basis and convince them that I have adopted the habit of returning phone calls?

And oh, yeah, will I convince anyone at all that I'm worth the time and money they're investing in me?

I propose the next week as a test: I will not be working, but have plenty to do. Can I write that piece I've been contemplating? Can I get through my class materials? Can I make a dent in the list of articles and books I should read?

We shall see.

No comments: